Having diabetes or maintaining blood sugar level can be challenging and difficult. People generally rely on medications to maintain the levels of sugar but if looked from a wider perspective and considered for a longer time, it is burdening and can cause some sort of side effects or is usually very less effective.
Here’s a list of 20 natural ways to lower your blood sugar levels which can also act as an alternative to such medications-
- Eating proteins and healthy fats –
Healthy fats and proteins can help the body to function with the intake of essential vitamins like A, D, K and E. Fats and proteins when taken in the absence of carbohydrates in the body can convert itself into glucose which ultimately provides energy.
- Taking fibre rich meals or food items –
Since time immemorial, food rich in fibre can act as a miracle to maximum kind of illness or difficulties. Fibre helps absorb excess glucose in the body and lesser the amount of carbs. Vegetables and fruits are an excellent source of fibre one can inculcate in their daily meals to lower the level of sugar in blood.
- Consuming food items with low Glycemic Index
Food products with a low glycemic index require longer to digest, so they don’t cause your blood sugar to spike too rapidly after eating. The best food items on a scale of 1 – 100, is below 55 to reduce the level of sugar in blood. Fresh and whole food are items that have a low glycemic index.
- Lowering the amount of carbohydrates in meals –
Carbohydrates provide energy to perform daily activities, but at the same time excess carbs can increase blood sugar levels. One should be careful while consuming and monitor the intake. Rice, potatoes are a general source of carbohydrates today.
- Hydration of body is important –
Sugar gets filtered from your system faster when you drink more water. People who drink a huge amount of water have a better chance of maintaining their blood sugar levels in check than those who don’t. If you find it difficult to remind yourself to drink water frequently, you can use different applications available on the internet.
- Lowering or completely cutting down on Sugar
Foods rich in Sugar have a huge glycemic index. Sugar is digested in the body very quickly and hence frequently increases blood sugar level. You should prevent refined sugar items and instead use sugar substitutes in your cereals and other foods.
- Drinking or taking natural drinks
Herbal teas are antioxidants that can help the body in filtering excess sugar in diabetics.
- Limited Eating
Too much eating puts pressure on the digestive tract making it weak. It filters items which are harmful for the body. This can allow intoxicants and sugar to get easily filtered.
- Working out and Exercising
To keep your body healthy, even if you are not diabetic, exercising is the key secret for a healthy mind and body.
- Eating Green vegetables and leafy items – leafy vegetables like spinach etc, can significantly reduce blood sugar level.
- Keeping Track of sugar level with scheduled tests – use of Glucometer is often suggested to people who are diabetic to monitor levels.
- Taking enough sleep – Ample 7 to 8 hours of sleep is necessary to keep your body relaxed and active for the day.
- Maintaining Body weight – Overweight people have less chances of lowering blood sugar levels unlike people who monitor and constantly work to reduce their weight.
- Taking vitamins and mineral rich food – Diabetic people have more requirements of vitamins and minerals than normal people do.
- Naturally lowering blood sugar levels with supplements – Dietary supplements help to make up for nutrients that aren’t found in food.
- Vinegar addition and intake with food items – Adding extra vinegar to your foods can lower their glycemic index (GI) and help you maintain a healthy blood sugar level.
- Reducing Alcohol Intake – Alcohol can boost your blood sugar levels so cutting it can help.
- Scheduling Fasts once or twice a week – Intermittent fasting helps to regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Avoid stress and panic – Stress can worsen your diabetes, plan your diet and consult a doctor and follow accordingly.